Portage la Prairie is a quick and easy, perfect day trip from Winnipeg! In this post we’ll highlight Island Park as a destination point.
Located approximately 70 km East of Winnipeg on Highway 1, Island Park in Portage la Prairie is a very easy destination to get to. Simply head West on Trans-Canada Hwy 1, take the MB-240 exit into Portage la Prairie and continue on that until you see the bridge to get over on to the island (Royal Rd).
Why Island Park is a day trip in itself:
- Fantastic Water Park (Splash Island)
- Golf Course (Portage Golf Club)
- Indoor Aquatic Centre (Shindleman Aquatic Centre)
- Mayfair Farm – Strawberries and Vegetables
- Beautiful walking trails, playgrounds and picnic areas
- Rotary Republic park (ball diamonds, beach volleyball, rugby fields, soccer pitches, etc)
In addition to the above listed amenities, there is also a disc golf course, tennis courts, Stride Place (2 arenas, walking track, the aquatic centre, fitness centre, etc), fairgrounds and camping area, ponds and lots of areas to walk, run and explore.
- close enough for a quick trip from Winnipeg! Go for a few hours, a full day, or make a weekend of it!
- Lots of great spaces to have a picnic lunch
- Good variety of restaurants close by
- Paved walking trails